Friday, November 7, 2008

Things I love...and longing for.


I am looking out my office window at the beautiful fall folliage. From where I sit, I overlook a park and the fall colors are absolutely breathtaking. I love the vivid orange and red leaves mixed with the green of those leaves yet to change and the dull brown branches of the leafless trees. (Now if only Planned Parenthood weren't also in my view it would be better!) The crisp fall air reminds me to pull out my favorite sweaters and flannel pjs. It makes me long for hot cocoa loaded with marshmallows, a fuzzy blanket and a great book to curl up with on the couch and read. Did I mention that I love to read? I love this time of year.


When I close my eyes and take in a deep breath, I am brought to a simpler time in my life. I smell home. I don't absolutely get it, but it gets me everytime I do it. In some small way I am comforted by the smell of the changing seasons. I have some weird habits and one of them is smelling things. ( I get you, Gale, because I am the same way.) I have this thing about smells and what they conjure for me. I love the smell of a baby fresh from the bath, I love the smell of pine as I hike in the mountains, and I love the smell of fresh baked bread. Most of all, I love the smell of my husband's neck just before I bite it...
P.S. I got my hot cocoa and it was fabulous!!

5 comments:

Castle Family said...

You were taking me to a lovely place...until the last phrase :)

Unknown said...

So sorry! I just have to bite him once I smell him...just a silly thing I do.

Bray said...

Yessiree. we are kindred spirits even down to the neck biting.

Delise said...

Smells I can understand...the biting is a bit TMI if you know what I mean? ;) Sweet post sissy.

April said...

I really miss fall. We only get a couple of weeks here.